What We Do
Working with the areas police services departments and other emergency personnel, North Simcoe Victim Services (NSVS) provides assistance to those who have fallen victim as a result of a tragic event, disaster, or a crime. Help is offered 24/7 by specially-trained community volunteers to provide for a victim’s immediate needs on-scene, through NSVS’s office or by telephone. NSVS staff and volunteers are dedicated to offering emotional support, practical assistance, referrals, and advocacy to all clients that require crisis assistance.
Below is an outline of our services:
- A lending ear: listening and offering validation to what the victim is feeling.
- Helping the victim to gather an organic support system.
- Assistance around understanding and identifying options and choices available to victims.
- Providing support while victims navigate through the family court and criminal justice systems.
- Offering the victim pertinent information that applies to their situation.
- Transportation arrangements.
- Accessing financial supports available.
- Safety planning measures.
- Funeral arrangements.
- Food security support.
- Helping out with forms and/or applications that need to be filled out.
- Accompaniment to important appointments.
- Community service agencies, including referrals to organizations out of the service area.
- Legal resources, including referrals needed within the criminal justice system.
- Providing information and education resources.
- Assisting victims as it relates to the criminal justice systems.
- Supporting victims as it relates to the family court systems.
*Clients can gain access to NSVS services by self-referrals, the Police, or referrals from other community service agencies.